Just tried this one on the family and had the greatest compliment, no leftovers! It’s meets all my requirements—-its healthy, filling and visually appealing. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
-3 yellow squash
-1 sweet bell pepper (red, yellow or orange)
-1 yellow onion
-1 handful of grape tomatoes
-1 can of sliced mushrooms
-1 1/2 teaspoons of dried leaf organo
-3/4 teaspoon basil
-dash of black pepper
-Italian Style Blend shredded cheese (just Parmesan would work but I like the variety in this mix)
-pure olive oil
-1/2 tablespoon of real butter (stick butter not liquid, I prefer unsalted)
-petite sirloin steak
- Rinse all veggies (this includes the canned mushrooms).
- Cut squash, zucchini and onion in half then slice thin, dice the red bell pepper.
- Pour all veggies into a bowl, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and mix. Then add the oregano, basil and black pepper and mix again. Make sure you spend some time doing this so the oil and spices adhere to all the veggies.
- Turn stove on medium high and place a large pan on the burner, add one tablespoon of olive oil, let the oil heat and swirl it around the pan to coat.
- Add veggies and cook until they are tender. While the veggies are cooking, grab a cookie sheet and using the 1/2 tablespoon of butter coat baking sheet.
- Pour veggies onto baking sheet and sprinkle with cheese. How much? It’s up to you remember though we are trying to compliment the taste of the veggies not cover it up.
- Broil on high until browned.
- While you are browning the veggies. Take the pan you sautéed the veggies in and add an additional tablespoon of olive oil.
- Turn stove burner to high and swirl oil around.
- Do not start this step until you have a kitchen timer ready. As you will turn the steaks every minute, this way you sear the meat to lock in flavor but minimize charring. Add steaks to pan and turn every minute for a total of 8-10 minutes depending on the thickness of the steak. You might have to add a little olive oil to the top of the steaks in-between turning to minimize charring.
11. Spoon out veggies onto a plate and top with steak.