I found this recipe on Girls Gone Strong and made a few changes. This is perfect for those nights when you’re in a hurry to get something on the table and it makes a lot which cuts down on lunch prep later in the week.
2 pounds ground beef (80% lean, 20% fat)
1 can stewed Italian tomatoes with garlic, basil and oregano
1 small can of mushrooms
½ – 1 cup of old fashioned oats (stops shrinkage)
1-yellow onion diced
Extras: diced olives, diced peppers (any type), pizza sauce
Shredded Parmesan Cheese to taste
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Combine ground beef, eggs, ½ liquid from stewed tomatoes, oats, onions , mushrooms, and peppers, in a large bowl and mix with a hand mixer.
- Once you’ve got a homogeneous mixture, spread it out in an 11”x 17” baking pan that has at least a one-inch rim.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until it’s cooked through.
- Take it out and drain the excess grease.
- Sprinkle the top with tomatoes, the rest of the liquid in the can, parmesan cheese and if you want pizza sauce. I don’t use it as I feel like the stewed tomatoes and cheese is enough for me.
- Place back in the oven and broil on high for 5-9 minutes until its golden brown.
- Cut it up and serve over the top of my summer veggies with avocado or on a broccoli or spinach salad with balsamic vinaigrette. It also works great paired with sides of green beans and carrots.
If you do take this for lunch, make sure you warm it up to really bring out the all the flavors of the meat, spices and veggies.